Did your carpet just become a victim of a sick family member? Or did your ill dog just vomit on your carpet? In this situation, the very first thing that will come into your mind is “How to Get the Vomit Smell Out of the Carpet?” We are here with all the solutions and pro tips to bring you out of this fuss-creating situation. In this article, we will be going to discuss different methods and tips that will help you out in removing the vomit and its smell from your carpet.
Remove The Vomit To Avoid Stubborn Stains
Before applying any deodorizer, the first thing that you should do is to remove the vomit from your carpet so that the vomit does not leave any stain on it. Removing the vomit immediately will save you from future problems. So, let’s have a look at the step-by-step guide to remove vomit from the carpet.
Wear Mask and Gloves: Before cleaning the vomit or getting in touch with the affected area, you should wear protective gloves (latex) and a disposable mask. This approach will keep you safe from having direct contact with the vomit and other airborne germs as well. Never ignore this step, because self-safety is the first priority.
Pick Visible Vomit with Paper Towels: First, use napkins, paper towels, or toilet paper to remove visible vomit. Throw these spent goods into a trash bag, zipper bag, or sealable plastic bag and dispose of them immediately.
Blot the Stain: Blot the stain with a sponge or cloth bathed in warm soapy water. Scrubbing might deepen the stain, so blot carefully.
That’s it! After you have finished vomit removal and stain treatment, wash your hands.
4 Proven Methods To Get Vomit Smell Out of Carpet
After the removal of the vomit stain, the next thing that you must be worried about is the stinky smell. Isn’t that so? If yes, then do not get perplexed at all, we have shortlisted the 4 best methods that will help you remove that strong foul vomit smell from your carpet. Without any delay, come have a look at these pro techniques one by one.
1. Try White Vinegar or Hydrogen Peroxide
Make a solution by combining equal parts of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Vinegar is a wonderful deodorizer and removes any foul smells instantly. But make sure that you are using white vinegar and not anything else like apple cider vinegar.
Besides, you can also make a deodorizing solution using hydrogen peroxide. Mix 1 part of hydrogen peroxide with 5 parts of water and ensure using 3% diluted hydrogen peroxide.
- Spray the prepared solution on the stained area using a spray bottle. You should test your mixture once on the non-exposed area first, especially when using hydrogen peroxide.
- Spray a good amount of your prepared solution on the affected area and let it sit for at least 5 minutes.
- After a few minutes of mixture settlement, take a clean towel, sponge, or any rag and dip it in clean water. Then dab it on the area where you have sprayed your solution.
- Let that area dry and after that, the odor would be gone for sure.
Keep the fan running or open the window as this may increase the speed of the drying process.
2. Steam Clean Your Carpet
Steam cleaner is a perfect way to get rid of unwanted stains or smells from the carpet. Read the manufacturer’s guidelines by the carpet company and get a suitable steam cleaner for your carpet. Checking these guidelines is necessary as some steam cleaners reach such a high temperature that can melt some carpet fabric fibers.
- Make sure a steam cleaner is safe for your carpet by checking the care recommendations.
- Fill the steam cleaner with water, detergent, or distilled white vinegar.
- Use 1 tbsp detergent in 950 ml water. For vinegar, mix 16 parts water with 1 part vinegar.
- Use a steam cleaner on the affected region at 100℃ for 1 minute or 70℃ for 5 minutes.
Get professional help if you’re apprehensive about utilizing a steam cleaner.
3. Use Baking Soda
When it comes to a strong deodorizing agent for carpets or rugs, then baking soda always stands first. This is a basic homemade remedy that you can use to get rid of foul odors coming from your carpets.
- Sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda on the affected area and the surroundings as well.
- You can also use kitty litter or cornstarch as an alternative if you do not have baking soda.
- Allow a minimum time of 2 hours for the settlement of baking soda on the affected area.
- In case the smell is very strong, you should leave that baking soda overnight on the stained area of your carpet.
- If you have children or pets in your home then cover that banking soda with a paper towel to keep them away.
- After giving an overnight time for setting to the baking soda, remove it by using a vacuum cleaner.
If the smell is still there, you should repeat the process. It may take a few attempts to get rid of this smell completely.
4. Give a Try With Commercial Carpet Deodorizer
Commercial carpet deodorizers can work magically to remove the smell of vomit from your carpets. Always buy a carpet deodorizer that is made from natural ingredients, because it won’t cause any marks or any further stains on your carpets. Besides, natural deodorizers are environment-friendly and will not be harmful to your health as well.
- Mostly carpet deodorizers come in powdered form, you can use the same method as the baking soda for its application.
- If the product is in liquid form or foam form then apply it to the area and give it time to set according to the mentioned instructions on the product packaging.
- After giving it proper time, vacuum the deodorizer if it is in powdered form.
- Clean the liquid or foam-type deodorizer with a paper towel or a damp cloth and let your carpet dry.
Before applying any commercial carpet deodorizer read the carpet manufacturer’s details and deodorizer application instructions very carefully.
Furthermore: How Do You Get Dog Poop Out Of A Carpet?
To Sum Up!
Removing the vomit smell and stains from the carpet is definitely a challenging task. But with the above-mentioned methods and techniques, you can easily tackle this nerve-wracking situation. We hope that after reading this complete blog about “How Do You Get Vomit Smell Out of Carpet?”, you can easily get a clean and fresh carpet look.
Carpetsonlinedubai.ae is a top-rated carpet shop in Dubai, Our team always takes care of carpet issues and provides the best solution with the best and easiest guide. Keep visiting our website for more informative carpet solutions